350 Years Mauthäusl
Already 15 before Christ merchant caravans, loaded with salt, came over the Jochberg.
It is presumed that the Roman freedman Fortunatus (180-250 AD) was the first Mautner of the Reichenhall valley, as it is documented by an inscription which was found in Fager (today Karlstein) in a Roman street station.
The “Golden Salt Street” which also leads over the Jochberg, was built 1346 by emperor Ludwig of Bavaria and was the first paved road. The main advantage was that carts and covered wagons could now also travel on the “Golden Salt Street” not only pack-horses. A pack-horse could only carry two so called salt discs each of 150 pounds whereas the two-wheeled carts could transport six without problems and the covered wagons even up to twelve salt discs.
The trading over the “Golden Salt Street” flourished in this way over centuries until the Bavarian elector decided 1597 to build a “more comfortable” way. This way led from the old Tyrolean Reichstraße via Cleber and via the “new way” to Weißbach.
Within only two years the new road was built. By means of hammer and chisel it was built along the slopes of Cleber. From now on the waggoners had to take the „new“ way. In the course of this modernisation a road charge of two crowns per horse had to be paid. That was the beginning of Mauthäusl (Maut = road charge). Thus the Mauthäusl was already 1650 an inn and guesthouse for salt drivers and wood waggoners.